- Cover your windows (especially those facing south) during the day with light-colored shades and you could save 10-25% on cooling costs.
- Move furnishings away from floor or return air vents.
- Plant a tree outside to provide shade for your home.
- Repair and apply weather strips to prevent air leaks in your home. Nearly 10-25% of energy used to cool homes escapes via leaks.
- Add attic insulation if the joists are showing.
- Have your HVAC system serviced or tuned-up annually to maximize efficiency and comfort.
- Seal leaking ductwork throughout your home. Nearly 20% of air moving through duct systems is lost to leaks.
- Replace your HVAC filter every month.
- Install a smart thermostat, which automatically adjusts to energy saving temperatures.
- Setting your thermostat five degrees higher can save you 20% on cooling costs.
- Install ceiling fans to circulate cool air.
- Install awnings on windows that get excessive sun in the late afternoon.
- Avoid using heat-producing appliances such as ovens or dryers during the hottest parts of the day.