How to Read a Digital Meter
Reading Your Home's Advanced Digital Meter
The meter face on your Digital Meter shows three separate rotating displays. Each display flashes for five seconds. The displays include:
- Status of your electricity service – Is the power on or off? What do OPN and CLS mean?
- Cumulative electric usage for the billing period -- used by PSO in bill calculation
- Electric demand reading -- a view for PSO operations only
Power Status Display
The Power Status Display tells you whether your electric service is on. You will see either:
- OPN This means your power is off.
- CLS This means your power is on.
Cumulative Electric Usage Display
The Cumulative Electric Usage Display shows your cumulative usage in kilowatt-hour (kWh). PSO uses this number to calculate your bill. You may also wish to refer to this number if you are keeping track of your kWh usage.
A kilowatt-hour is a unit of electrical consumption equal to the amount of electricity needed to burn ten, 100-watt light bulbs for one hour.
The Reference Number 1 is unique to the Cumulative Electric Usage Display. The meter number is a unique identifier for your meter.